No Veteran Left Behind Program Advantages
1. There is NO waiting list. If you have your own dog and they meet our requirements, and we have a qualified volunteer close to you, then you can begin to train immediately.
2. There is NO charge for our services as we are 100% volunteer based. You don't have to pay for a hotel, meals, and plane fare to receive a dog if you are using local support to train your own service dog.
3. After you and your dog have completed basic and advanced obedience, and public access testing you will be listed as a service dog in training with our program. You will be able to train while out in public. When your dog completes the service dog training and learns the tasks necessary to help with your disability(s) public access by your service dog will be protected by federal law.
4. We provide you with an enrollment certificate, ID, logo patch, and training information to help you learn to teach your service dog in training necessary tasks. But most importantly, we will always provide support and help.
5. You will have a new family with a large support system in place.
In House Service Dog Program
Working Dogs For Vets also has an "In House" service dog training programs. These programs are for disabled heroes whose disability prevents them from training their own service dog through the No Veteran Left Behind Program. On average, service dog training for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (P.T.S.D.) takes 6 mo-1 yr, many of the in house service dogs have been trained tasks to help P.T.S.D. coupled with another disability such as mobility support. Some have been trained over 2 years and then given to the disabled vet at no cost. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit volunteer based organization.